Locally grown tomatoes and real feta cheese is a classic salad, with good reason. Greece has won the right to call its tangy white goats’ cheese “feta.” Other countries producing similar cheese must add the country of origin, such as Danish feta, to distinguish it from the real thing.
- 8 small tomatoes
- 12 sun-dried black olives
- 12 oz (340 g) feta cheese
- 1 quarter English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Core tomatoes. Cut each into 8 wedges from stem end almost to base, leaving base intact so wedges form flower shape. Arrange on serving platter.
Place olive in centre of each tomato; surround with remaining olives. Slice feta thickly; add to platter along with cucumber. Sprinkle with oil and parsley.